What career is right for me? I don’t know what to do with my life. What is the best way to find a job? How to be the Difference is a career advice podcast for students, graduates and professionals of all ages, who are looking to fast-track their career or want to make a career change.
In this series of conversations, leading industry experts address these questions, providing actionable insights on how to make a difference in your chosen career field and ultimately how to make your dream career a reality.
Hosted by Johanna Molina, Co-founder and Head of Accessibility and Paul Lynskey, Head of Experience for Europe and Africa at the Intern Group.
In this episode of How to be the Difference we invited Erik Stettler, a data scientist, venture capitalist, and Chief Economist at Toptal, a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams on demand. We talk to Erik about what it takes to thrive in the field of data science and why– contrary to popular belief– it is not limited to one single profile. Erik also does a deep dive into the opportunities as well as dangers of the conclusions that can be drawn from data.
Outline of this episode:
- [0:32] – What comes to mind when you hear data science?
- [3:45] – Data science in our daily lives
- [4:29] – Erik Stettler, Toptal
- [6:26] – Choosing a career in data science
- [8:20] – Why data is like oil
- [11:11] – Breaking into data science
- [15:00] – The dark side of data science
- [19:16] – What would you change about the industry?
- [20:50] – How to thrive in this field
- [23:22] – Myths surrounding data science
- [25:13] – Skills to succeed in the 21st century
- [28:00] – Building good habits
- [32:37] – Best advice Erik has received
- [34:20] – Who do you admire?
- [36:06] – Democratizing access to opportunities