What career is right for me? I don’t know what to do with my life. What is the best way to find a job? How to be the Difference is a career advice podcast for students, graduates and professionals of all ages, who are looking to fast-track their career or want to make a career change.
In this series of conversations, leading industry experts address these questions, providing actionable insights on how to make a difference in your chosen career field and ultimately how to make your dream career a reality.
Hosted by Johanna Molina, Co-founder and Head of Accessibility and Paul Lynskey, Head of Experience for Europe and Africa at the Intern Group.
In this episode of How to be the Difference, we invited William Shaw, the founder and CEO of Ultra Air, a Colombian low-cost airline. William has 26 years of experience in the airline industry and co-founded one of the first low-cost airlines in Latin America: Viva Air.
He sits down with Johanna and Paul to talk about how he fell in love with the industry and what drove him to eventually start an airline of his own. William also discusses what it takes to become a successful entrepreneur and takes a moment to reflect on the process of raising capital during economic crises such as the current global pandemic as well as the 2008 economic crisis.
Outline of this episode:
- [0:28] – Coming out of lockdown
- [1:10] – William Shaw, Ultra Air
- [2:50] – Early career in British Airways
- [13:37] – Tools for entrepreneurial success
- [21:06] – On Colombia’s culture of fun
- [23:48] – Raising capital for an airline
- [27:37] – Business lessons learned in the pandemic
- [31:48] – How to build a great team
- [35:55] – Feeding creativity
- [38:03] – Are there any resources inspiring you at the moment?