What career is right for me? I don’t know what to do with my life. What is the best way to find a job? How to be the Difference is a career advice podcast for students, graduates and professionals of all ages, who are looking to fast-track their career or want to make a career change.
In this series of conversations, leading industry experts address these questions, providing actionable insights on how to make a difference in your chosen career field and ultimately how to make your dream career a reality.
Hosted by Johanna Molina, Co-founder and Head of Accessibility and Paul Lynskey, Head of Experience for Europe and Africa at the Intern Group.
Creating a values compass with Dr. Mandeep Rai
In this episode of How to be the Difference, we sat down with Dr. Mandeep Rai, the international best-selling author of The Values Compass: What 101 Countries Teach Us About Purpose, Life, and Leadership.
Mandeep has an impressive track record having traveled to more than 150 countries, completed a PhD in Global Values, built a career at JP Morgan, and reported as a journalist for BBC World Service and Reuters, among other publications.
Mandeep does a deep dive on how she became a global authority on values and how creating your own personal values compass can help you navigate today’s world. She talks about building relationships with inspirational people like the Dalai Lama and the values and lessons she’s taken away from being exposed to different cultures.
Outline of this episode:
- [0:28] – Coming out of lockdown
- [3:56] – Introducing Mandeep Rai
- [5:06] – A mammoth trip across Africa
- [6:04] – A book review from the Dalai Lama
- [8:16] – Becoming a global authority on values
- [12:22] – On identifying core values
- [19:20] – Impact of COVID-19 on values
- [21:18] – Core values to succeed in today’s world
- [31:22] – What care means to Mandeep’s
- [36:52] – Taking culture into perspective
- [39:56] – Advice to other women inspired by Mandeep’s journey