What career is right for me? I don’t know what to do with my life. What is the best way to find a job? How to be the Difference is a career advice podcast for students, graduates and professionals of all ages, who are looking to fast-track their career or want to make a career change.
In this series of conversations, leading industry experts address these questions, providing actionable insights on how to make a difference in your chosen career field and ultimately how to make your dream career a reality.
Hosted by Johanna Molina, Co-founder and Head of Accessibility and Paul Lynskey, Head of Experience for Europe and Africa at the Intern Group.
How to break into mechanical engineering
In this episode of How to be the Difference, we caught up with Mauricio Toro, CEO and co-founder of TECHFIT Digital Surgery, a full-service platform that makes patient-specific treatments for bone reconstruction. During the onset of the pandemic, Mauricio decided to design open-source ventilators to save thousands –if not millions– of lives.
We sit down with Mauricio to talk about his fascinating career in mechanical engineering and his passion for streamlining innovation processes, as well as how he is able to use his motor sport mentality to develop life saving medical devices.
Outline of this episode:
- [0:28] – On Formula One cars
- [3:50] – Introducing Mauricio Toro
- [5:20] – From Medellin to Florida
- [9:32] – Being a maker at heart
- [11:46] – Building an open source ventilator
- [19:10] – Transforming an idea into reality
- [22:34] – Skills to succeed in engineering
- [24:58] – Mauricio’s experience with internships
- [30:47] – Advice for university students
- [33:00] – Resources that inspire
- [34:29] – What’s next for Mauricio?
- [36:56] – Habits for fostering creativity