The working environment is undergoing a rapid and exhilarating change and you do not want to be left behind.
On How to be the Difference, we help you navigate in and around the intricacies of this new and exciting era, providing the latest career advice from leading industry experts. As the demand for tech-savvy professionals rapidly increases, “the world is your oyster…” has never rang truer, from remote teams and online working platforms to task automation.
If you are looking to begin your career, secure that promotion, find the right role to suit your family’s needs or identify better ways to attract and retain top talent for your company, look no further as we tackle the ever-evolving nature of the working environment, and its future.
Hosted by Talanta’s very own, our Co-founder and Head of Impact, Johanna Molina and Head of Experience, Paul Lynskey.
Creating opportunities for talents around the world
In this special episode of How to be the difference, the host Paul Lynskey chats with Talanta’s (formerly The Intern Group) Co-Founders: Johanna Molina, David Lloyd and Lee Carlin. In this conversation, the three guests talk about how their paths joined when they decided to create The Intern Group, and they share with us the story of the company that provides intern job opportunities for students all over the world.
Although they come from different backgrounds, David, Johanna and Lee have always had one thing in common: their desire to travel around the world and meet people from different cultures and countries. Since a young age, all three of them lived vital experiences that ignited this curiosity in them: Johanna traveled through Latin America in a car with her father and sister, David spent one year in Argentina learning about a completely different culture, and Lee attended a school where his classmates were the sons and daughters of immigrants from very different countries.
After going into more traditional career paths, they realized that this passion was shared with many talented people from different parts of the world. But, in many cases, these were people that lacked access to opportunities that would enable them to live those same experiences that shaped them. That is how they created The Intern Group, to build a bridge between brilliant people and brilliant companies, offering them job opportunities as interns in other countries. The ultimate goal was and still is to inspire and encourage people to believe in and challenge themselves, discover their passion and realize their potential.
In this episode, the guests talk in detail about their backgrounds, share insights about how important it is to get out of your comfort zone, about the company’s pilot programs in its beginnings, and about how the company shifted its purpose when the pandemic hit in 2020.
Outline of the episode:
- [01:30]- Introducing the guests
- [01:37]-Johanna Molina
- [01:56]-David Lloyd
- [02:03]-Lee Carlin
- [02:25]- Meeting each other, creating The Intern Group
- [02:35]-Johanna’s background
- [04:40]-Johanna meets David
- [06:18]-David’s background
- [10:25]-David leaves the finance world to create The Intern Group
- [11:47 ]-Lee’s background
- [14:50]-Lee joins The Intern Group
- [16:50]- Milestones and challenges along the way
- [16:55]-David shares the igniting idea for The Intern Group, its initial pilot programs
- [18:30]-Johanna on the first years of The Intern Group
- [21:05]-Lee’s insights on the early stage of The Intern Group
- [24:10]- Pivotal moments for the company
- [24:30]-Lee on the first full scale program and on the company’s values
- [27:36]-David on the first partnership, featuring on the press and Covid-19
- [30:41]-Johanna on The Intern Group scholarships and the pandemic
- [33:20]- One moment that stood out
- [33:26]-Johanna’s choice
- [35:45]-Lee’s choice
- [41:15]-David’s choice
- [44:00]-Where is The Intern Group headed to?
- [44:15]-David on building a borderless world for talent
- [45:23]-Lee on scaling the company’s impact
- [46:27]-Johanna on offering limitless opportunities